Yann,

Thanks for the reply.

> You're wrong. It's the correct place to ask your question. Most if not all
> people here are volunteers. If they can't help (no time, no answer), don't
> blame them. Maybe someone will answer you in a short time. Maybe the
> knowledgeable people missed your posts, are on vacancy, have their own life
> to go on with (hopefuly they have! ;-) )... Maybe no one as the answer...

I do understand that everyone here volunteers their time. I'm on a number
of mailing lists such as this, and I think I have a pretty good feel for
how they work and I also volunteer a lot of my time answering as well.
But, this is also a community effort. Xfree has to be one of the biggest
parts of using linux other than the kernel. Being such, I was expecting
more traffic and therefore more information. Personally, I think the xfree
site should have more information about configuring mice/keyboards with an
explanation on how to expand it for each button/key.

I apologize if my expectations were too high. To be perfectly honest, it
seemed a very simple question with probably a very simple answer, just
that I couldn't find it. If this were a branched-ff list I would expect
few/no responses, but supposedly being the *main* list, I couldn't see any
reason to not have half a dozen replies either saying "heres how to do it"
or "heres a url that explains it".

I see there is an average of about 40+ messages a day (since I subscribed
anyway), which is a fairly high-traffic list.

I guess I am really curious now, is setting up extra mouse buttons and
special keyboard keys such a rare occurence that the majority of people on
this list have no idea how to do it, nor where to find out?

Please don't take me the wrong way here, as I don't mean to sound
unappreciative or disrespectful. It's just that it is very frustrating
when after looking everywhere else, you come to the one place that you
just *know* has the answer, and end up feeling ignored. It's a very rare
occasion that I've had this happen on other lists, even with odd and tough
questions.

> Try 'xev' to check for scancodes if they make some (some PCs have buttons that
> are handled by the BIOS/whatever, and do not have scancode associated).

I was able to get the scancodes, but my biggest issue is where to tell it
"scancode 226 will do this" and "mouse button 4 will do this".

> Try: "man setxkbmap", maybe that will help (this is a wild guess, I know
> almost nothing regarding KB & Mice in XFree).

I just took a look at that, seems more to simple change the layout, but
not set specific keys.

> Also, Google for "xfree86 keyboard special buttons" and skip the first three
> match, they are 'dead'. Digging into third match gives a ML archive:
> http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2002-June/thread.html
> Look for "Grey volume buttons".
>
> The fourth match looks quite interesting...

The archived thread looked right at first, but turned out there was no
discussion pertaining to what I needed.

However, that google search turned up a few things that will point me in
the right direction. I had done some searching for something other than
that, but I can't remember what. However they didn't turn up what I
needed.

Thank you for the reply and all the information. It is very much
appreciated.

        Bryan