Hi people.  This is my first time configuring linux by myself, as well as my first time using a mailing list such as this.  So please excuse me if I make any annoying newbie mistakes.

Ok, here's my problem.  I installed xfree alone with mandrake linux.  When i enter the command "startx" after logging in, the system will enter a screen where it says "Initializing system services".  However, after that, it goes into a blue screen and just stops.  The cursor still remains as a "watch styled" cursor.  But the x window just won't load.  A friend suggested me hitting ctrl+alt+f1 to see what's happening.  I did that, and it shows that it is stopping at a line that says "Using vt 7", and that's it.
Oh, and the initializing-system-services screen says that it is KDE 3.1.  But I remember choosing 4.3 (or something that starts with 4) when I had to first configure my linux.  =/
So, here I am.  I have no idea where to start in order to solve this problem.  Help will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Best regards,
Ray