On Thursday, June 26, 2003 9:51 am, George wrote:
> >I could install Red Hat 9 in this laptop, which X11 could works very well.
> > But never get success on FreeBSD. I don't know why and get no idea in it.
> > I searched many days in public but never find anyone make it work on
> > FreeBSD, but someone said it could work on NetBSD 1.6.1 but I still
> > couldn't pass X in that way.

Whoa, that panel information looks... odd. :^)  I never knew
ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ made laptop display panels... and at 65535x65535
your computer's screen would have to be several meters on a side.  I'm going
to take a wild guess here and say that this information is bogus.

Do you get the same information in Red Hat 9's XFree86's log?

What version of XFree86 comes with Red Hat 9?  4.3.0?

Try this:

$ nm /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.o |
grep xf86SetDDCproperties

Tell us what results.  On my system, I get

         U xf86SetDDCproperties

Since my man page for nm(1) is entirely inadequate, I am forced to guess that
U means it's undefined in the .o file but is utilized by one of the functions
actually in the .o file.  Besides, there's no address listed.

However, /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libddc.a defines this symbol.

$ nm /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libddc.a |
grep xf86SetDDCproperties

00000000 T xf86SetDDCproperties

At least, I guess that means it's defined.  What does T mean, anyway?  It's a
strong symbol, or something like that...?  Where can I get help deciphering
nm's output?

Anyway, check to see if you have /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libddc.a.  Try adding
Load "ddc" in your Section "Module" entry at the top of your XF86Config file.

Finally, there are no Modes lines in the SubSection "Display" entries near the
end of your XF86Config file.  I'm probably wrong here, but in my experience
XFree86 can't run without some mode selections.  It might be capable of
choosing a default color depth, but I don't know for sure, so I always put a
DefaultDepth line in each of my Section "Screen" entries.

--
Andy Goth  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  http://ioioio.net/
End communication.