Hello,
Glad to be here. The Fink app is genius but here's my problem.

I'm new and I'm sure alot of other new users would like to migrate also but...without clear, concise straight-to-the-point direction the mind pico-fies. Dammit Jim..I'm a new user, not a professor!!! Keep it simple and they will come! I had a similar problem 4 years ago when trying to install YDL and later NetBSD. It appears not much progress has been made in top-down logic flowchart-like documentation...too much muck to crawl through before actually finding an install right for me. 4 weeks I spent trying to get one of those builds up and running. But at that time it was bandit and chaos/control config files bogging down the process. Now the UNIX-like software is finally catching up with today's hardware but disjointed and unstructured help files and docs persist in the UNIX-like community. I've read most of the help files and docs with no success.

Anyway...Do I want XDarwin? I don't know! Here's what I'm looking for from a system and maybe someone can tell me what packages i need to get there because I'm done reading for hours and hours only to progress an inch. It shouldn't take 40 min. to fry an egg ya know? I think XDarwin is the correct one but...what are the pros and cons? Are there better X Servers? Is XDarwin the same as XFree86-Server? At 56k in the Virgin Islands and a demanding work schedule I don't have the time to find out the hard way.

I direct this to the best of an experienced and seasoned user's knowledge :

I have OS X 10.2.6 running on a G4 dual 1.25 gHz box
I have installed X11SDK and Apple Developer Tools
I have removed Apple's version of X11 and X11R6
I have installed xfree86-base 4.2.1.1-3 (not the rootless) via fink install * 10 hours later...:( got bandwidth? *

Will X11SDK conflict with XFree86 in any way? I didn't think so but thought I should ask the more informed?

I need the best window manager, X server, and GUI (GNOME?) for my box and OS.
I want this setup to allow for the most apps to run stable.
In your opinion, better to go with root or rootless xfree86?
I need concise info and to the point pros and cons if more than one choice. (keep it short, simple and please no geek speak or intellectual flexing)

The rest I will learn after I can get a setup that works!

A big island thank you to whoever has the time to help!!!

Brian