On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 11:06:22AM +0200, james amen atayi wrote:
> Hallo!
>
> Is it possible to directly read the video card output and save it into a file
> as a screen shot?  I have to capture for a long time the display. Doing it
> making screen shots is not a good solution. That why I'm trying to find out
> how to capture the video card output. In other way, how can I record the
> screen as a movie file without making screen shots?
>
> thank for your help

OK, this is messy and only an outline of what to do, but I think I have a
couple ways for you to solve your problem.

On a Windows box:

   1) Install an X windows implementation such as X-Win32 (the one I use)
      or Cygwin.
   2) Obtain one of many Windows utilities to make a movie out of screen
      activity (I have no direct experience with such packages -- I hear
      there are many such as gifgifgif and Camtasia).
      of the package he uses is not in right now).
   3) Set up the security on your Windows-box X server so your XFree86 box
      can access the X server.  You likely just have to put the IP of the
      XFree86 box into some security dialog.

On the XFree86 box where you'd like to do the video capture:

   4) Reset the DISPLAY environment variable to your Windows box IP with
      :0 for the display number (or whatever it takes to redirect the windows
      to your Windows box and start your XFree86 application.

The biggest issue I think you'll have is running a window manager and
keeping it from interfering with the appearance of your application.

Here's the alternate (probably better) solution...

On a Windows box:

   1) Obtain a VNC client for Windows.
   2) Obtain a Windows screen capture movie program (same as #2 above).

On your XFree86 box:

   3) Install VNC server and VNC client.
   4) Start a VNC server with :1 as the display.
   5) Start your application with :1 as the display.
   6) Start the VNC client using :1 as the display -- go full screen.
      [At this point you should be able to do whatever you would on
      your XFree86 box and your VNC client will display the activity.
      It should look normal to you (not crucial, but reassuring).

On the Windows box (suggested order of events):

   7) Start your screen capture utility.
   8) Start your VNC client using the XFree86 IP address and display :1
      then go full screen.
   9) Do whatever work you'd like to do on the XFree86 box via the VNC
      client on your Windows box.  When you're done just stop the screen
      capture utility.  You naturally have to edit the captured result
      to drop whatever you don't want at the start.

Please accept the above as concepts.  I have tinkered around with trying
to capture XFree86 activity on Redhat 7.3 and did set up a VNC client on
Windows/NT (full screen) so I could see what was happening on the XFree86
box.  I never took the next step of recording the activity, I simply made
a recommendation to a gentleman who wanted to go to the next step.

Good luck!
Joel Breazeale