On Wednesday, July 16, 2003 2:06 am, John Lowell wrote:
> When I did the installations, I configured XFree86 to include the
> mga display driver.

How did you do *this* configuration?  I usually do it by editing
xc/config/cf/xf86site.def .  Look for XF86CardDrivers.

> I configured via xf86config and everything seemed fine
> but exiting out of my window manager I get messages indicating that the mga
> module can't be located.

Please send us your /var/log/XFree86.0.log and your /etc/X11/XF86Config files.
I'm not sure how XFree86 would start if it couldn't find the driver it was
configured to use, or how XFree86 would complain about being unable to load a
driver it isn't configured to use.

> A little checking revealed both that the driver
> wasn't included with the source code downloaded for XFree86 after all and
> that further attempts to get it through the distro's resources would come
> to naught.

Where are you downloading your XFree86 source code?  Your distribution may be
splitting up the XFree86 tar into many smaller chunks in an attempt to
mitigate its size, and it could be that they forgot about mga.  I guess.

I recommend getting your source straight from the, uh, source. :^)  Bad
Andy... heh.

> Drivers available from Matrox for this card won't compile since
> none were designed for the current version of XFree86. I would dearly love
> to have a card specific driver for these boxes and am at sea regard the
> proper course to follow. Is source code for an mga driver that will work
> with the current version of XFree86 available? If so, where do I go to get
> it?

XFree86 comes with an mga driver.  It has been there for at least four years.
And yet CVS reports the latest change as being only four hours old.  I guess
that means it's actively developed. :^)

Look in xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/mga/ .  Everything should be
there.

By the way, the standard XFree86 distribution tarball unpacks into the "xc"
directory.  This is what I refer to above.

--
Andy Goth  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  http://ioioio.net/
Engineers love to change things.