On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 11:23:53AM -0700, nathan wrote:

> I just went back to runlevel 3, killed gpm, restarted X, and checked for gpm.
> It was not running, and I still have a trackball-shaped paperweight.  gpm
> does not appear to be interfering with X.

In your configuration file I saw this:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "PS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse then
# this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to let you
# also use USB mice at the same time.
        Identifier  "DevInputMice"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

As far I know PS/2 protocol does not handle keys above 3rd; so maybe to
use your scroll wheel, or other things, you have to change the protocol
to IMPS2 ( or other which works with your mouse).
Another thing... why you have two mouse configurations?
Try also using directly /dev/psaux and/or /dev/gpmdata ; to try this
last option you should enable the repeater mode in gpm. I suggest this
last configuration; specifying 'raw' mode.

--

Bye by Vlad/Nick