Whenever I am running *startx* system displays the message Display is already set to 0. I am able to run xterm command also.

Hi

I'm a relative newbie here, but maybe I can help...

I'll make a bit of a wild guess here, since you haven't provided the exact words of the error message(s). It sounds like you may have a graphical display manager running, and you're trying to start a new XFree86 on the same display (it defaults to zero).

Have you tried something like

startx -- :1

?

If this starts an X session, then I'd say there's nothing wrong, or your display manager is somehow misconfigured (if you were expecting a GUI login screen and not getting one).

On an aside, is there any reason why XFree86 doesn't discover display IDs rather than fail? It'd be EXTREMELY nice to be able to have people run XFree86 and have it search for the lowest-numbered free display (that is, free port). It'd be good to be able to run just 'startx' not 'startx -- :n' where n is the lowest free display ID....

Craig Ringer