I have an intermittent crash of XFree86. It happens about once a week.
The problem is that to debug it I need to save the /var/log/XFree86.0.log.
However, upon a crash gdm restarts the X server which overwrites this file
before I can save it (or at least so it appears). Normally in these crash
situations the X server can't successfully restart so the error is
available, but in my case everything works fine for about a week, and then
BOOM!
I've been through the archives and can't find anything that seems to match
my problem, as all 'fatal IO error 104' messages seem to be happening to
people on startup (i.e. 0 requests).
I do however have my .xsession-errors (as I can get this file prior to
logging in to the console:
XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
after 30571501 requests (30568902 known processed) with 0 events
remaining.
I know that the problem could certainly lie elsewhere in my setup, but I'm
having a hard time figuring out where to start without access to the log
file.
Is there somewhere that this file is saved, or something I can do to get
ahold of it? I want to know before the next crash, as it is really
annoying to lose everything that is up.
I apologize if I am missing something obvious, or if I am not providing
enough information for anyone to give me a pointer in the right direction.
FWIW, in case this is an easy one, I'm including some system information.
I have an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, with dual-monitors. The two monitors are at
different resolutions (an unfortunate problem with the pixel clock on the
LCD output on the GeForce2 MX). I run fluxbox on Red Hat 8.0. The crash
usually occurs when switching focus to my browser (which is pretty much
always the only window on the low-res monitor). Browser is Mozilla
Firebird (could be unstable).
SYSTEM configuration information:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
vor-lord:home/brettw> uname -a
Linux vor-lord 2.4.18-27.8.0 #1 Fri Mar 14 06:45:49 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux
----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------
vor-lord:home/brettw> head /var/log/XFree86.0.log
XFree86 Version 4.2.1 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.2.1-21) / X Window System
(protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)
Release Date: 18 October 2002
----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------
vor-lord:home/brettw> rpm -qa | grep NVI
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123
----------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------- section of XFree86 -------------------------------
Section "Device"
# no known options
#Driver "nv"
Identifier "NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX (generic)"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX (generic)"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX (generic)"
Option "pci_burst" #BusID
EndSection
Section "Screen"
# NVIDIA Twin options
#Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024,1600x1200"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX (generic)"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "on"
Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-130"
Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "48-170" #Option "MetaModes" "
1600x1200,1600x1200"
Option "MetaModes" "1600x1200,1280x1024"
Option "TwinViewOrientation" "LeftOf" #Option "ConnectedMonitor"
"dvi,crt"
SubSection "Display"
#Modes "1800x1440"
Depth 24
Modes "1600x1200"
EndSubSection
EndSection
-------------- END section of XFree86 ---------------------------
---------------------- window manager ----------------
vor-lord:home/brettw> rpm -qa | grep fluxbox
fluxbox-0.1.14-1
--------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
XFree86 mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://XFree86.Org/mailman/listinfo/xfree86