Could be. You're sure it's not just the X server picking a refresh rate
higher than what the monitor can deal with? Maybe the default vsync rate
it uses at 1152x864 is enough lower that it falls within the monitor's
limits where it picks a higher rate for 1024x768? Did you try reducing
your HSync and VRefresh rates a bit to see if that helped?

Craig Ringer

Yeah pretty certain, my monitor has a nice little message box for whenever
it recieves out of range refresh rates. This is exactly like power managed
sleep.

I like that - too many cheap monitors just go into powersave if overdriven. *sigh*.

Well, that's my one guess exhausted. Have you tried a different monitor with it, just to check if XFree86 is behaving?

Craig Ringer