On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Richard Lynch wrote:

> My laptop with a whopping 16M of RAM and 1G hard drive (with only
> 300M free now) needs XFree86.
>
> Buying more RAM to get to the MAX of 32M is possible, I guess, but sub-optimal.
>
> Alas, the most recent version of XFree86 is a "bit much" for it.
>
> What version would you consider "optimum" for such an ancient setup?

   Probably XFree86 3.3.6 if it supports your hardware.  And for
a window manager something like fvwm is pretty light.

> I'm pretty sure I had X on this thing, and I'm pretty certain the
> RH6.2 RPM didn't work, and I believe I compiled from source when it
> did finally work, oh so long ago...
>
> I had to rip out X for something else, though.
>
> This was all a long, long, long time ago, and now I need to get this
> laptop back into a state of X-ness :-)
>
> I'm also open to switching to a different distro if that's the right
> solution. They're all the same to me, really.
>
> I just need it to be able to surf to the Intranet and be a sort of
> custom "webmin" for another box.
>

> Or even to be an X "head" for the other box that can run a more
> recent X version, if that's easier.
>
> I've got no idea how to make one box be the X client and the other
> the server, but I know that it can be done, and that what I think of
> as client is really server and vice versa, right?
>
> Err, the screen with pretty pictures on it is "server" and the box
> doing all the back-end X work is "client" right?

   The server does all the X work and has the pretty pictures.
The client is the application.  You can run netscape (the client)
on a different machine and display it on your laptop.  It still
takes up alot of resources on the laptop, but less than it
would have normally.

   Remote display is a matter of setting the DISPLAY environment
on the client machine to point to the server machine (something like
"my.server.ip.address:0.0") and allowing the server to allow
connections from remote clients (see the man page on xhost).

                        Mark.