I have placed xmail in init.d and it contains the following (only the
first part)

<quote>
XMAIL_ROOT="/var/MailRoot"
XMAIL_CMD_LINE=""
PATH=$XMAIL_ROOT/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin
:/usr/bin
DAEMON=$XMAIL_ROOT/bin/XMail
NAME=XMail
DESC="XMail server"

test -f $DAEMON || exit 0

set -e

start_xmail()
{
    MAIL_ROOT=$XMAIL_ROOT
        export MAIL_ROOT
    MAIL_CMD_LINE=$XMAIL_CMD_LINE
        export MAIL_CMD_LINE
</quote>

And as far I can figure, the MAIL_ROOT variable should be
"/var/MailRoot" and should be exported, but sendmail still can't find
the MAIL_ROOT enviroment variable :(

Is the enviroment variables global for all users?