It isn't my intention to offend either of you, as Xmail and Xmail-WAI are
great programs.  My focus is more on security, and I do in fact have a
firewall with VPN and am somewhat knowledgable about the various
encryptions/etc.  No matter how secure a system is, or I think it is, I
just always have a concern with passwords stored in any file
plain-text.  It is difficult to feel 100% confident that nobody will ever
get access to that file, and then if the people with those passwords reused
them anywhere, it could open many other doors.

I was previously using QPopper with sasl and apop configured in
Linux.  Now, I was quite happy to see your Win2K implementations, and this
is why I switched over.  QPopper did have an option to force users to use
APOP or other methods, so I was inquiring about this.  Perhaps in a future
release it might be an option to consider.

Now I understand your responses and there are reasons for the plain-text at
this time.  I would encourage you and others though to use hashes as you
have in Xmail if possible, but always try and avoid leaving passwords in
files, no matter how secure the file system appears.  You just never know
what Microsoft/other vulnerability will show up next.

Thanks for all your work thus far,

... Jason Badry