Hallo Davide,

Am 2002-05-10 um 18:08 schriebst du:

> On Fri, 10 May 2002, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

>> Hallo Davide,

>> > 60000 entries ??!?? just for curiosity, how did you fill the list ?
>>
>> It is a public list available.
>> I'm using rsync to do an update on a regular basis (every hour)
>> and add the several addresses I collected myself (about 2500) all
>> is done by a little Perl script which I run from a scheduler.
>>
>> Common infos:
>> http://basic.wirehub.nl/spamstats.html
>>
>> Lists:
>> http://basic.wirehub.nl/spamlist.txt
>> http://basic.wirehub.nl/spamlist-extended.txt
>>
>> Infos how to fetch (with rsync is best):
>> http://basic.wirehub.nl/spamlist-usage.html
>>
>> I use it as filter file for XMail, for Ecartis and for my local
>> news server.  The amount of SPAM is 10 instead of 100 a day now.

> I see, but it's not absolutely an effective way to stop spam. Forging the
> MAIL_FROM SMTP command is the 101 of spamming rules. You better use the
> relay blacklist. It's faster, more effective and you do not have to
> maintain/sync it.

I use the relay blacklist as well.  But it doesn't work with mails
submitted via not listed SMTP relays.  Since the usernames are used
quite often (like [EMAIL PROTECTED] and so) it is an effective way to
block those idiots from wherever they connect to internet or relay
their mails.

In addition it is not much work, the scheduler runs the script every
hour and the list is updated automagically.  I just every Spam address
that makes it through the filter to avoid future Spams with the same
>From address;) (Probably 10 minutes a day of my time).

Well, I wrote about half an hour for the Perl script to fill the
several lists, unfortunately they all use different syntax:

XMail:
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Ecartis:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

And the wildcard handling differs a little bit here and there.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=