Hallo Davide,

Am Sonntag, 12. Mai 2002 um 22:33 schriebst du:

> On Sun, 12 May 2002, Trish Lynch wrote:

>> > David, take a chill.
>> >
>> > We aren't debating what you seem to think we are debating.  No-one is
>> > claiming that the MTA is responsible for transmitting a textual line of
>> > the form 'From [EMAIL PROTECTED]' between MTAs.
>> >
>> > What we are stating is that it is the MTA's responsibility to add this
>> > SMTP envelope line to the message before it is handed to the local
>> > delivery agent, like is done under all current MTAs with the seeming
>> > exception of Xmail.  When it talks to another MTA (ie, in the case of
>> > MTA->MTA forwarding), this line gets preserved via the SMTP Mail From
>> > command and thus has no need of being transmitted seperately.
>> >
>> > - --JT
>> >

>> Exactly! this is formed by the MTA by the "MAIL FROM:" in the SMTP
>> transaction and is not transmitted in the form of RFC822 Headers, it is,
>> in fact, generally a "by product" of the SMTP or UUCP transaction (and I
>> suppose that its existence is largely legacy UUCP, and probably there for
>> historical reasons).
>>
>> THe "From " line is described in UUCP RFCs and surprisingly still formed
>> by most UNIX MTAs. Sendmail, Exim, and Postfix being the particular ones.
>>
>> It seems to be formed as it decides that the address is at its "final
>> destination" and hands it off to the local mailer. mail.local and procmail
>> both do not form this "header", the MTA does prior to that.
>>
>> Now in the case of ecartis, its passed this mail, to be processed, and it
>> already has the "From " line on it. It then takes what it is handed, raw,
>> and puts in in the "archive" which is simply the mail as it is handed to
>> Ecartis from the MTA via alias. and Ecartis keeps appending to this box
>> for each list, therefore creating an "mbox" with the proper format.
>>
>> I also see nothing that *requires* it to be there, just that its generally
>> "best practices" (as assumed by the existence of it in three widely
>> used UNIX MTAs) and isn;t considered an RFC822 header, but an "Envelope"
>> header and part of the record of the transaction that occured via SMTP.

> Sendmail, Exim, and Postfix add the "From ..." line ( not "From: ...",
> that is different ) when they deliver to mbox'es. that's why they put such
> line. it's final delivery. in such case the message stream is ready to
> be appended to the mbox w/out any changes. and now i understand why
> ecartis chokes. XMail does not add the "From ..." line because it does not
> deliver to mbox'es. XMail keeps the real sender ( MAIL FROM:<...> ) and
> other informations at the top of the message ( XMail header ) and if
> ecartis really needs the "From ..." line, it must be build by slightly
> changing the econv.c program ( http://www.xmailserver.org/econv.c ).

This is one option, another one would be to add some lines to Ecartis
in src/internal.c where is checked for the 'From ' topline and if it is
not found it falls back to the 'From:'.
As well as falling back Ecartis could add the topline here itself.

Well, changing econv.c would be nice too.  I suggested this already.
I can do this if you don't want to do it yourself.  Would you accept
a patch for econv.c?

Gerrit
--
=^..^=