> but i would prefer that xmail server forces smtp auth if the MAIL_FROM and
> RCPT are local and the same.
>
> the rcpt accout is local, so you can think we don't need auth, but the
> sender is also local, and so there xmail could force auth.

I send lots of mail from other places using my work e-mail address as
from-address. When sending mail from home I use my home mail server to relay
mail out, i other cases I have to use ISP mail servers because of
firewalling. I often BCC my mails to my work e-mail so I get a copy of the
messages I sent there.

To me, mail with the same sender and rcpt is completely normal and very
common, and they will have been routed through one or more other
mailservers.

Even for mail that I don't BCC to myself, there's a fair chance that I'll
have CC'd one or more recipients in the same domain as myself and those
would also be covered by your required auth.

If Davide ever implements this, it has to be a non-default option.

Andreas