> Using MS Outlook to retrieve and send email, I can see Norton Anti-Virus
scan outgoing and incoming email messages. It looks like it is watching
over SMTP and POP ports.

This is because (all but one that I can recall) most anti virus scanners
actually download/send the mail for you, it acts as a gateway on your own
machines. Every once in awhile Eudora gets goofed up by Norton, you will
find in your mail client changed mail server settings, 127.0.0.1 instead of
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx etc

So since Norton knows how to handle one account at a time I'm going to guess
you are out of luck, although it can still detect a virus in the mail server
directory of course, but I dont think you want to set it to scan every
minute, and is likewise not reliable anyway.