When you disable relaying, your mail server (SMTP) will accept messages
only for some domains (yours). Mails can come from everywhere, but the
recipients must be on your domains.
When you use a mail server (SMTP) to relay, you send a message to a
foreign domain (not handle by the SMTP server used for relay).