Rant all you like...:)

I'm a Windows developer - it's how I earn my living. Hence, I use the tools
that are popular for Windows development. Perl and the gnu compilers are
fine for unix development, but I don't run Unix - and I need to "practice"
with the tools that I'm asked to develop with - hence I use Visual Studio
and Visual Studio.NET.

When I become rich/famous enough that I can dictate to my customers what
development tools will be used, then I'll think about other tools. Until
then, I use what keeps bread on the table and money in the bank.