In the interim, I found this posting:
http://www.mail-archive.com/davidel@xmailserver.org/msg00868.html
which makes it clear that XMail is rejecting relay
access. HOWEVER, the email is being sent by my slash
daemon (I'm running a weblog), so it is coming from my
box and it is coming from an email address that
exists.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? It appears
that messages to the outside sent by my slash daemon
are considered as relays....

Michael