From: James Budiono   NCS
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Sent: 1/31/03 11:04 AM
Subject: RE: [xmail] Re: smtp relay delivery delay?

Hi,

I checked. I can't tell whether the MX server (it's the same server
since I'm sending to the same recipient both at office and home) is
implementing RDNS,
but in both situation my IP has a valid PTR.

In the office environment, when I telnet to port 25 to the MX server, it
is transparently proxied via the firewall, so my IP and the IP seen by
the MX server is different.
Transcript:
220 crystal.ncs.com.sg ESMTP Sendmail 8.11.6/8.11.6; Fri, 31 Jan 2003
10:54:12 +0800
250-crystal.ncs.com.sg Hello firewall.ncs.com.sg [203.126.130.66],
pleased to meet you

There is no delay at all when I do the telnet manually.

At home environment, connection is via NAT router so my IP and the IP
seen by the  MX router (= the ISP's public IP) is different.

In either case however, the IP seen by the MX server (either firewall /
ISP public IP) has a PTR record associated to them.

The commands I type afterwards is just like this:
MAIL FROM:<>
RCPT TO:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
DATA
test
..

And in both cases when I use this commands directly on the MX server,
everything goes smoothly, no apparent delay is noticed at all.

cheers,
James