----- Original Message -----
From: "Davide Libenzi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: saltstorm.xmail
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 2:29 AM
Subject: [xmail] Filter revolution poll ...

> Right now filter selection is pretty weak and now that I'm doing the
> inbound/outbound split is going to be even weaker. I was thinking about
> nuking the "filters" directory and have two files :
>
> filters.in.tab
> filters.out.tab

I have been working with filters extensively along with the scope engine,
so I thought I'd give some comments from a user's point of view.

Firstly, a inbound/outbound split would be a greatly appreciated addition
to xmail. It wouldn't be a day to late adding it to 1.14, since the current
approach makes it very hard to determine from a script whether the mail
currently being processed is going out or coming in.

> The syntax of those files is :
>
> "sender"  "recipient"  "cip"  "sip" "command" ...
>
> Where :
>
> sender = Message sender ( MAIL FROM )
> recipient = Message recipient ( RCPT TO )
> cip = Client IP
> sip = Server IP
>
> Example :
>
> "*@mydomain.com"  "*"  "0.0.0.0/0"  "0.0.0.0/0"  "/bin/nukeit.sh"  ...
> "hacker@*"  "*@safedomain.com"  "  "208.129.208.32/27"  "192.168.1.12/32"
>"/bin/nukeit.sh"  ...
>

> Comments ?
> Question, how many different rulez are you planning to push in those two
> files ?

I figure I could well end up having some ~30 entries in the in.tab,
and around 10 in the out.tab. Anyways, the proposed in/out tabs makes the
filters way more easily managed, having everying in 2 files and all.

As for the syntax, it looks ok to me. However, I don't know about the
cip/sip part and if does much good at this level, posing the cip would be
for access/exec restriction I guess a single range is too limited
for a common setup. Not that it would harm me having the option, but I tend to
believe people would keep the range 0.0.0.0/0 at all times for the sake of simplicity.

Instead, exposing sip,and cip especially as @@ macros, IMHO would make this
info way more useful and flexible whereas a script author could take care of
any cip related stuff at the scriptlevel in any way he likes. I for one would
buy you several pints for a @@REMOTE_ADDR macro ;)

The sender/recipient part is a good idea, as long as the ? and * wildcards are
available in the same manner they are in some of the other .tabs. I suppose the
recursive feature introduced in 1.12 will still be around also, allowing fields
like "*.domain.com" and "*.com" etc.

That was all come to think of for now. I'll probably post some more comments
regarding this later on.

/thomas.