De: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
nombre de Spyros Tsiolis
Enviado el: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 2:34 AM
Para: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Asunto: [xmail] A question to the Xmail gurus

Hello list,

Long time no write. This is no coincidence since Xmail rules and once I
install
it properly on clients' sites, it doesn't complain :-)

OK ! Here is my question.

I have a client with two static IP addresses : 62.1.2.3
(serial.clientssite.com)
and 62.1.2.4 (say mail.clientssite.com)

62.1.2.3 is being used as the gateway to the world and since we have the
luxury
of an extra IP (wow ! this is something for us down here :-), we decided to
administer our xmail box (v.1.5) on a slackware linux distribution tailored
our needs.

I am not going to tell you guys what I have done for two reasons :

a. You might be pulling your hair from your head in despair :-)
b. I don't want to make things complicated (I am a complicated person
   eventhough I claim [and hope] not to be :-)

So here's my question :

... How would you setup the xmail box in order to administrer your own users
on-site ? And more specifically how would you use the MX record pointing
to the site ?

Please keep in mind that the whole thing is behind a linux iptables firewall
and
the xmail box lives in the DMZ part of it. Just to let you know.

OK ! I can't resist; I'll tell you what I've done.
I have 62.1.2.3 (serial.clientssite.com) for the default g/w.
I have 62.1.2.4 (mail.clientssite.com) for the xmail box on
the DMZ.

Somehow I've done something wrong. I told the ISP to handle
the xmail box as our own mail entity, so we get mail from the world
directly on our port 25.
I don't want this (I don't feel very comfortable with the idea of
letting port 25 open to the world).
The way I vision this is for the ISP to get our mail and forward it
to us (store and forward ?), then us being able to talk to the world
directly for outgoing mail messages.

Another question arises from the above :

... if I do leave the xmail box open to the world, what are the chances of
  it becoming a(n) (unwanted)  relay server ? Can I secure it xmail-wise
  so that it doesn't serve half the world too ?

Any ideas ?

If yes, they would be greatly appreciated.

BTW which is the current version of xmail ? Is it not v.1.6 ?

TIA,

spyros tsiolis

-----
"I merely function as a channel that filters music through
the chaos of noise"
- Vangelis