One more problem today, then I think I'll be able to give it a rest...:)

I've written a filter that I want to apply to outbound mail. I placed the
exe for the filter in the mailroot/bin folder, and added a .tab file to the
mailroot/filters folder for the filter. I also added an entry in
filters.out.tab that will send all outbound mail to the new filter.

If I grab a message (copy it to another location) and craft a command line
for the filter exe manually, it runs just fine. However, it doesn't seem to
run (at all) as a filter.

(I keep thinking of new things to check while I'm writing this email - just
checked that *everything* is spelled correctly in all the .tab files, and
that "filters.out.tab" is spelled correctly).

Here's what I've got:

filters.out.tab:
"*"     "*"     "0.0.0.0/0"     "0.0.0.0/0"     "scanoutmail.tab"

mailroot/filters/scanoutmail.tab:
"virout.exe"    "@@FILE"        "@@REMOTEADDR"  "@@RFROM"       "@@RRCPT"       "TRUE"

Everything is properly delimited by tabs, and the virout.exe is in
mailroot/bin folder.

If I catch a message going through the system and copy it to C:\test.fil,
then I open a command window and do:

E:
cd\xmail\mailroot\bin
virout c:\test.fil 216.201.36.227:2468 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] true

the message is tested by the filter program (I know this because the filter
program writes events to the Windows event log). However, no matter how
much mail I send, and regardless of whether I send to internal addresses or
external addresses, it never gets activated by xmail (no event log entries
show up - and if the program were failing, it would still generate an event
log entry, although of a different type).

Ideas?