Van: Davide Libenzi [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Verzonden: dinsdag 23 september 2003 19:55
Aan: XMail mailing list
Onderwerp: [xmail] Re: Hide password in log

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Michal Altair Valasek wrote:

> Hello,
>
> |> I have enabled POP logs. Is there any way to hide passwords=3D20
> |in that log?
> |
> |What about setting the correct permissions to MAIL_ROOT ?
>
> It's the immediate solution, but the basic security rule is not to
give =3D
> chance - and no not rely on one thing. It's why you should patch your
=3D
> server
> even when you're behind firewall. And why you should not store
sensitive
> data secured only by access rights.=3D20
>
> Especially when you recommend to run XMail in SYSTEM security context,
=3D
> and
> thus allow access to anyone running the same context - for example any
=3D
> other
> similar server software, which may have a security hole.

Look, if someone get root/SYSTEM in your machine, hiding passwords from
log file does not help at all. Password cannot be hashed since they're
required in plain when doing POP3/IMAP auths, and this can have the
attacker to get them. A root/SYSTEM can do anything he wants on your
machine, and this is by definition.