I have Googled a bit and tried searching in the xmail forum archives, but
cannot find any mentions of changes, if any in the 1.17 spool structure.

I was previously running 1.16 on FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE. It was working fine
until I required multiple filters, and it was having some troubles. I found
that I needed to upgrade, which I did.

Now, I see the 1.17 spool structure only has {MailRoot path}/spool/local
and {MailRoot path}/spool/temp. In reviewing the readme, it should be a
{MailRoot path}/spool/0 {MailRoot path}/spool/0/0 etc. structure.

Is it okay to just use the existing spool structure (as I installed the
1.17 into a different directory to keep the other running), or is the newer
version 'built' on the fly as required?

Thanks

-- Bob