At 13:02 10/20/2003, webmaster wrote:
>It appears that if my forwarders are not correct or my isp goes down. I
>cannot send mail internally.
>
>Task 'email - Sending' reported error (0x8004210B) : 'The operation
>timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you
>continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or
>Internet service provider (ISP).'
>
>I get the above message generated by outlook xp or the following error
>message generated by outlook 2k and outlook 97
>
>Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Some choices:

1) Configure an internal DNS server that resolves IPs for your domain - so
that clients can resolve the IP of the mail server even if your ISP is
down. Don't forget to change the client configuration to point to those DNS
servers.

2) Add an entry to the HOSTS file (C:\WINNT\System32\Drivers\Etc) for your
mail server, so the address will always be resolved locally (again, must be
done on each machine).

3) Configure Outlook to point to the IP address of the server rather than
the DNS name (strongly not recommended).