Ha, I am vindicated, this is my problem exactly.
Only now I used to have 2300 and now have 0000.  This is because I was on
normal time and now am on daylight time. (Remember i'm down under)

This value...
> dlp=1
.... is indicating that daylight is *enabled*.   It does not indicate that
daylight is *active*
Test this by unchecking the box in ...
(control panel | Date/Time | TimeZone | Automatically adjust clock for
daylight savings changes). Don't forget to Apply.
And then run the C test prog again, you will notice that dlp=0

So the only time logs are 2300 is when Daylight time is enabled AND not
active.

Rob :)