You wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Harald Schneider wrote:
>
> > is there a chance to see SMTP dialog filter hooks in the next release?
> >
> > Hooks after each SMTP command and after each data line would be a nice
> > thing, e.g.:
> >
> > So a script could also do anti spam and anti virus checking on the fly,
> > aborting conversation without accepting the whole message.
>
> I do not believe in online SPAM filtering. Because of a huge load on the
> server and because SPAM messages are typically very small.

But online AV filtering might be nice. If an AV filter could trigger a 552 fatal after
receiving DATA, that message would surely go to the 'real' sender and avoid the
bandwidth waste - and stupidity - of sending virus warning notifications around the
world. The same kind of reason for issuing a "5xx mailbox unavailable" during SMTP
rather than accepting everything and sending user unknown notifications.

Ciao, Francesco