This all makes sense, sort of, but I find it hard to believe that big =
companies or isp's actually create the users on all of their servers to =
avoid this.  Maybe something else is configured incorrectly??

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 02/06/04 05:17PM >>>
There is no requirement that SMTP servers deliver only to the primary=20
server for a domain. Any MX record is valid for delivery, regardless of=20
whether the "primary" server is available. So, in essence, the only way =
to=20
force all mail to the primary server is to have no secondary (insofar as =
I=20
know - if there is a way, I haven't encountered it).
As far as bounced mail from the primary going to the secondary, it =
sounds=20
like a broken mailer - check your mail logs on the primary to determine=20
whether the mail was rejected (it likely was). If so, the sending =
mailier=20
is retrying the next MX it finds for the domain before "giving up" on=20
delivery. This would be valid for a temporary failure error, but I'm =
not=20
sure it's valid for a permanent failure error.

Finally, as far as how to prevent the messages from queuing in the=20
secondary server, I'm not quite sure how to do that. Of course, it's=20
perfectly legitimate to accept all messages and only deliver those =
which=20
are addressed to valid accounts (most of the remaining mail will either =
be=20
spam or incorrectly addressed mail) - if you want to do that, I believe =
the=20
option to remove spool errors will suffice. However, the original =
sender=20
will never know those messages aren't delivered, so you would probably =
want=20
to be able to review them (for possible misspelled email addresses) - =
which=20
is the whole purpose behind having them frozen.

In order to have mail addressed to invalid users rejected on your =
secondary=20
server, it would have to be aware of the valid users. This is what I'm =
not=20
quite sure how to do - I was originally thinking that setting up the =
domain=20
on the secondary server with all the users as normal, then adjusting =
the=20
mailproc.tab for each user - but I don't think that will work as I was=20
thinking. The only thing that actually seems to me that it might work =
would=20
be to set up an alias domain on the primary server and redirect from =
the=20
secondary to that primary. For instance, if you are dealing with=20
thequallsfamily.com as the domain, set up:

Primary:
     thequallsfamily.com   <-- has all the users in it, just as normal
     redir.thequallsfamily.com  <-- the domain that the secondary delivers =

Secondary:
     thequallsfamily.com  <-- has all the users in it, just like =
primary,=20
except has mailproc.tab for each user to redirect mail to=20
redir.thequallsfamily.com

The mailproc.tab file would look something like (assuming user "schmoo"):

"redirect"      "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

This allows both servers to recognize valid and invalid mailboxes, and=20
accept delivery only for those items which are addressed to valid =
users.=20
Using the alias domain for redirecting from the secondary to the primary=20=

gives you a way to make sure the messages reach the primary, since the=20
alias domain is not local to the secondary server (otherwise the redirected=
=20
message might be delivered locally to the secondary server and either =
get=20
stuck or form a mail routing loop).

Problem is, I have no idea if this will actually work (and it's definitely=
=20
a *high maintenance* solution). I've not actually tried this, so at =
this=20
point, it's just theory.

Perhaps someone will have a better idea.

At 17:53 2/6/2004, Dale Qualls wrote:

> [...]
>
>Backup Server (admin domain is pmnhg.net)
>thequallsfamily is a custom domain on this server doing smtp relay in =
case =3D
>the primary is down (this works, tested by taking the primary down, =3D
>sending messages then bringing the primary up later and the messages get =
=3D
>pushed over by the backup)
>
>If a message goes to the Primary (as in the message below to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
l=3D
>sfamily.com did) and the user doesn't exist on the domain (just as sales =
=3D
>doesn't exist), the message then comes to the backup server (instead of =
=3D
>going back to the sender as a 550).  The backup server ends up with the =
=3D
>message frozen (which is where the message below came from) as a message =
=3D
>from the postmaster on the backup server.
>
>Shouldn't the message go back to the sender from the primary server and =
=3D
>never even be looked at by the secondary except to do the relay back to =
=3D
>the primary?
>
>Also, it seems like a lot of messages come to the secondary even though =
=3D
>the primary is never down (it's on a full T-1 and it is NOT a busy =
domain, =3D
>I'd guess less than a couple hundred messages a day).  It could be that =
=3D
>only the undeliverables for thequallsfamily.com come to the backup, but =
=3D
>I'd guess that they should never interact with the [EMAIL PROTECTED] =
as =3D
>far as an undeliverable message goes)
>
>Any advice?  Maybe I have something configured wrong?  I followed the =
docs =3D
>exactly (at least I believe so).
>
>Thanks!!
>
>Here is one of the messages that keeps getting frozed because it has no =
=3D
>place to go.
>
>**************************************************************************=
*=3D
>************************************
>
>127.0.0.1:0;127.0.0.1:0;Wed, 4 Feb 2004 04:48:55 -0600
>pmnhg.net
>XA4E
>MAIL FROM:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>RCPT TO:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
><<MAIL-DATA>>
>Date:   Wed, 4 Feb 2004 04:48:55 -0600
>From: pmnhg.net PostMaster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Error sending message [1075891733340.1015835.MAIL2] from =3D
>[pmnhg.net]
=3D
>[pmnhg.net]
>
>[<00>] XMail bounce: [EMAIL PROTECTED];Error=3D3D[550 =
=3D