From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Toby Reiter
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 10:30 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [xmail] Delivery Attempts Question

All,
I wanted to find out how XMail handles delivery attempts, especially in
terms of number of attempts and time elapse after the first attempt before
XMail calls it quits.

We've noticed two things:

a) When a message can't be received by anther server (i.e. a 4xx
code) it stops trying to send the message after 1 day.  A lot of other MTAs
seem to keep trying for 7 days (trying 1x day after the first day) to send
on the message.

b) We have a backup MX that we generally use for our own internal use.  It's
also being used as the backup MX server for one of our clients who uses an
Exchange server. One time last week, when the exchange server was down for a
day or so, the backup MX continued trying to send on messages for the first
day using SMTPRELAY, but then stopped after that.

Is there any way to extend the timeout for re-sending and relaying messages?
I don't remember seeing this on this list before....

Thanks,
Toby
--
Toby Reiter                          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Breezing Internet Communications     http://www.breezing.com