-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Tracy
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2004 1:40 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [xmail] OT: Port forwarding / redirection

I know this is OT for this list, but it does apply peripherally. Shoot if
you must...:)

I am using Xmail 1.17 on Windows 2000 Server. It's working just fine
(except for a minor bug I introduced when modifying the code - but I'll
clean that up when I migrate to 1.18).

However, I have some remote users who are on networks that are blocking
port 25. Now, I understand the reasons behind port 25 blocking, and I agree
with them (for the most part). However, the users in question are
reputable, and need to be able to send their mail through my server (rather
than through the servers on the networks they are connected to).

The simple answer, of course, is to set up a second SMTP listener on the
machine, listening on a different port. But I don't want to have to set up
a second instance of XMail (with all the attendant configuring and spam
issues and whatnot), so I'm looking around to see if anyone knows of a way
(either using Windows itself, or some trusted piece of software that won't
run the system into the ground) to redirect connections from one port to
another. For example, having a remote user connect to port 587 instead of
25, and having that connection redirected to the existing SMTP listener on
port 25.

I've considered using a proxy server, but I can't find any that are both
"trustworthy" and "lightweight" enough for me to be comfortable with them.

I'm not looking for a secure setup here - anything coming into this port
will be treated just as a standard SMTP connection (meaning all the spam
filtering and relay blocking of my main server will be in effect). So, SSH
tunneling and such things are not really what I'm after (perhaps at some
future point, for secure email services, but not now).

Oh, and if at all possible, I'd like to avoid things like Cygwin - I've
never had good luck with using it...

Thanks for any suggestions (even if they amount to "go soak your head"...:)