I am experiencing the same problem with Xmail 1.18. I've pretty much
narrowed the problem down to a FreeBSD issue, most likely a
configuration issue related to the hard drives. My recent experience
with Ecartis and partition location has cemented my belief that this is
a FreeBSD issue and not a Xmail issue. My current solution is to
auto-reboot the server at midnight every day (my situation makes this an
option) and this seems to completely resolve the issue. It looks like
the "zombiefication" occurred around 3 a.m. or so every night.

I am also running sa_filter and av_filter, both on partitions separate
to Xmail. Needless to say, I haven't ruled either of those out as
potential culprits or parts of the problem. The only thing I'm
relatively sure of is that I don't think the problem is Xmail itself.

- Ken