From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Sasa Stupar
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 3:12 AM
To: Xmail-ML
Subject: [xmail] Maildir or Unix format

Davide,
I have been looking arround about mail formats and found out interesting
info on http://www.washington.edu/imap/documentation/formats.txt.html .

Just a part of it what is very interesting:
--------------
There's a general reason why file/message formats are a bad idea.
  Just about every filesystem in existance serializes file creation and
  deletions because these manipulate the free space map.  This turns out
  to be an enormous problem when you start creating/deleting more than a
  few messages per second; you spend all your time thrashing in the
  filesystem.

       It is also extremely slow to do a text search through a
  file/message format mailbox.  All of those open()s and close()s really
  add up to major filesystem thrashing.
-------------

Any comment on this and why Xmail is using Maildir instead of standard Unix
format?

Regards,
Sasa

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: sasa.vcf

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe xmail" in the body
of a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] For general help: send the line
"help" in the body of a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]