Yes I agree that $mailroot/spool/local and $mailroot/spool/temp are
documented and exist in distribution, but the problem occurs when someone
wants to clear out the spool they kill all the folders under $mailroot/spool

Yes I agree, if you don't know what your doing (and you kill too many
folders) then you deserve to have pain.

The problem is that these individuals then create noise here wanting help
fixing, when a simple check in xmail will create the folders as well as the
numbered folders at xmail start, and there is less noise.  This also
improves the appearance of the stability of Xmail when it fixes up after
dumb mistakes.

I suppose if the error message that occurred was a little more specific -
ie.

"Error - Mailroot/spool/local folder missing" would do just the same.

Less noise = more IMAP coding.  <grin>

Rob :-)

Censorship can't eliminate evil; it can only kill freedom.