From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Kirk Friggstad
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 5:17 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [xmail] Re: Spammers / viruses bypassing MX records?

> If you have a publicly accessable IP address on your server it will
> always be open to smtp traffic regardless of MX records. Does your
> Barracuda device also contain a stateful firewall?

"Firewall" is perhaps too strong of a word for what the Barracuda does - it
accepts incoming SMTP connections with recipients in domains that we host,
does spam filtering and virus scanning, then relays it to our XMail server.
It does not have separate network interfaces, does not proxy POP3
connections, and does not relay mail to any other server not specified in
it's configuration.

We need to maintain our public IP address for our XMail server, as we
provide e-mail service to a number of our customers, including authenticated
SMTP relay. I guess what I'm really looking for is a way to configure XMail
to only accept incoming SMTP connections if they are (A) authenticated or
(B) from a trusted subnet.

According to the docs, it appears that adding [SmtpConfig] "mail-auth" to my
SERVER.TAB might work, but it doesn't state whether SMTPRELAY.TAB entries
will bypass this check, and I don't currently have a system to test this on,
and I'd rather not play with the config on our production system.

Again, any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Kirk

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe xmail" in the body
of a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] For general help: send the line
"help" in the body of a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]