I have modified an existing filter that it now analyzes that the
'received' headers to closely match the 'from'.
It also looks for an entry at spamcops. With these indices and a white
and gray list it achieves better results than with rbl lookups alone.

Examples (from the log file):

"passed" "Sender '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'     Not graylisted. 2nd level domains:
apsag.com apsag.com     Transport's names: {apsag.com sender match!}"
"\\?\D:\Programme\xmail\MailRoot\spool\16\2\mess\1083558478435.22904.hathor"

here my own mail was transported by a server of our company. No wonder
the the second level domain name of a transport matches.

"REJECTED!" "Sender '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'     Not graylisted. 2nd
level domains: canada.com criticalpath.net     Transport's names:
{webland.ch comcast.net (62.165.170.67.bl.spamcop.net->'127.0.0.2')
comcast.net 168.com }"
"\\?\D:\Programme\xmail\MailRoot\spool\17\20\mess\1083558721290.20668.hathor"

Here the mail was never handled by a server of canada.com but one of the
transports was noted at spamcop. That's why it was rejected even though
it was not gray listed.

"passed" "Sender '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'     Domain found in gray
list. 2nd level domains: hotmail.com hotmail.com hotmail.com hotmail.com
hotmail.com     Transport's names: {hotmail.com sender match!}"
"\\?\D:\Programme\xmail\MailRoot\spool\21\6\mess\1078402193043.2724.hathor"

this mail could pass even though hotmail is a known spam source. But all
indices say that it's no spam: transport match and no transport marked
at spamcop.

"REJECTED!" "Sender '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'     Domain found in gray list.
2nd level domains: hotmail.com hotmail.com hotmail.com hotmail.com
hotmail.com     Transport's names: {rr.com
(189.12.66.66.bl.spamcop.net->'127.0.0.2') }"
"\\?\D:\Programme\xmail\MailRoot\spool\8\16\mess\1078427590217.320.hathor"

this mail couldn't pass. One transport has an entry at spamcop.

Even though the filter itself seems to be working almost perfectly (no
single false hit in 6 months), I didn't want to rely on it. It's up to
the user to decide which mail he wants to filter using the built-in
tools of the clients (e.g. Mozilla) or add-ons. If he loses hist most
important mail, it's not me to blame....

If the filter is still of interest, anyone can have it ...

Regards

Martin Schmid