At 21:32 7/27/2004, Jeffrey Laramie wrote:

>On Tuesday 27 July 2004 20:13, John Kielkopf wrote:
> > http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ptr.ch?ip=209.12.136.106
> >
> > Yeah, looks like you have no PTR record visible.  Your bandwidth
> > provider should be able to create it for you, or delegate a reverse
> > lookup zone to you.
> >

>Yeah, this is pretty weird. I have my own name servers and I've always had
>RDNS configured I assume correctly. Now nobody can do the lookup outside my
>LAN. Based on the 'dig' that Tracy did, the lookup ends at my ISP and never
>even queries my name server. My best guess is that my ISP provides DNS for
>the other IPs in my block and their configuration is preempting my server.
>I've got a trouble ticket started with my ISP to see if they can resolve
>this.
>
>Jeff

That's pretty much it, I'd say. Either they need to delegate authority for
your subnet to your DNS servers, or they need to establish PTR records for
your IP addresses.

Some ISPs do this without charge, but don't count on it - a lot of ISPs are
using the "extras" to make up for the money they lose in bandwidth fees.
However, for simple PTR records, the charge should not be exorbitant -
usually a "one time charge"....