More like, he's trying to set up a MSA port (RFC 2476) for user submission
of email independent of location.

MSA (port 587) - direct-to-MX client submissions, requires authentication.
MTA-to-MTA submissions not allowed here.

SMTP (port 25) - MTA-to-MTA submissions, doesn't require authentication
(authentication can be used to identify clients submitting direct-to-MX, if
desired).