The issue regarding SRS is only important if you have mailboxes that =
forward
to another email server.  For example, I have customers who host domains
with me and have certain email addresses in their domains forward to
mailboxes at yahoo, hotmail, or aol.  If I create SPF records in their
domains, there is a chance yahoo, hotmail, or aol might block their
forwarded email when they do their SPF filtering.  That is why it is so
important to have the SRS stuff in place before publishing SPF records.

The SASL SMTP issue is important because I want to be able to enable SPF =
and
my customers do not connect to the net from within some IP range that I =
own.
My customers go through various ISPs around the world.  Some of their =
ISPs
are blocking outbound port 25 traffic.  If I publish SPF for these =
domains
and the customers in those domains cannot connect to my servers on port =
25
due to their ISP's blocking efforts, then my customers' emails will be
blocked by SPF at remote servers because they will be sending from their
ISP's IP instead of mine.  Logically, I want to allow a port other than =
25,
and port 587 is the recommended one.  However, without SASL SMTP, I =
would be
making port 587 as dumb as port 25.  If I am going to allow a port other
than 25 to accept SMTP connections, then that other port must be locked =
down
to only allow authenticated connections such as SMTP AUTH.  If I do not =
lock
down port 587 with SMTP AUTH, then spammers will get around the port 25
blocks and spam directly to port 587.

I am extremely excited about the forgery blocking benefits of SPF once
everything is properly deployed.  SPF alone will not be that big of a =
deal,
but a properly deployed SPF aware mail server combined with all of the =
other
anti spam tech at our disposal will be extremely effective.  The =
important
thing is the whole picture.  Simply running as SPF filter will help you
reduce some inbound spam that is forged.  But the big picture about =
properly
deploying all aspects of SPF is what gets me excited.  I host tens of
thousands of domains and hundreds of thousands of email accounts, and
properly deploying all of the SPF tech (SPF records, SPF filters, SRS, =
SASL
SMTP) is going to help me do my part to protect my customer's accounts =
from
being victims of forgery.