There is no 'BEST WAY'. Your security policies generaly define what to =
do

First example :
If you DON'T WANT to DROP ANY infected mail, because you don't want to =
miss
the (IMO 'little') number of legitimate mails that was infected, then =
you
can process in any order you want as the mail must pass all tests to be
scored and then finaly eventualy dropped/bounced/delivered ...

Second example :
Assuming your security policy is to simply DROP any infected viruses, =
why
trying to run any other test when you already know that the message is
infected ?
So perform scan, and if virus found, drop it, else pass to spamassassin =
and
others filters ...

A sample security policy we adopt in our company :
1- Test for spf : if source domain have no spf record go to next steep, =
but
if source domain have a spf record go to next steep only if sender ip =
is ok
else drop.
2- Test for smtp AUTH : if authentified smtp session go directly to =
test 5
3- Test for blacklists (drop if present else go to next steep)
4- Test for greylisting and go to next steep if ok
5- Test for viruses : drop any infected mail without notifications to =
sender
and receiver (as we assume that actually 99% infected mails are self
generated, don't wasp ressources ...) else go to next steep
- Test for anti-spam and depending of score, pass, bounce or drop

If spamassasin first job is to scan for viruses, and, with an =
selectable
option, can simply skip other tests if viruses are found, then yes, =
only
sending the mail to spamassassin is ok for us.
The question is : Can spamassassin run this way ? I don't know yet (I'm =
not
a spamassassin expert ...)

Francis