On Wednesday, January 26, 2005 9:04 PM [GMT+1=CET],
Alex Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Would I not get the exact same results if a spammer attacked my
> primary mail server with 10000 emails too?

Nope, because the primary mail server sends the message directly to the
spammer in smtp stage and no bounce-mail is created. On a bad administraed
fallback the mail is accepted at the first stage and the primary server
rejects it, so the fallback creates a bounce message.

> I cant create .tab file for every user. We do some forwarding for =
> customers
> that ends up being <anything>@domain.com goes to
> <anything>@mail.somewhere.com or we just have all email forwarded to =
> their
> SMTP server in case theirs fails. Either way we have no way of
> knowing = who
> the accounts are to create the .tab files. I wanted something similar
> = for
> our mail server.

Correct me if I'm wrong: Your customers have own mail servers and you should
provide backup MX for them? As I said, if you want to do it nicely, you'll
have to setup a cmdalias file for each user. I think your customers can
provide lists with their users.

> I just want it to hold onto mail until our primary xmail server comes
> up while doing the 'custdomain' stuff on the secondary mail server
> too.

Yes for that you have to set a high numer of delivery retries and and a high
ratio for delivery time retrieng (see the command line options of XMail).