That, of course, is the clear argument for Windows as a workstation OS,
and I agree 100% in that sense (Mac OS X is great also).  However, when
it comes to server management, I prefer people I work with (and myself)
to be knowledgeable, and I prefer the OS to be as flexible as possible.
This is just my experience, I am not presenting it as an absolute truth
for everyone, but I have found that at best the Windows GUI does nothing
to help understanding or flexibility, and at worst it creates IT people
who don't understand the internals behind what they are doing and rigid
GUI behavior that makes it more difficult (or even impossible) to create
poweful non-commercial or non-standard solutions to complex problems.

So, with a workstation, ease of use is extermely high on my list of
importance, and with servers ease of use is extremely low on my list of
importantance.  But that's just me...

And no, I don't know of any Linux solutions as complete as Windows from
a graphical standpoint - there are a few good starts, though (Red Hat
seemed pretty good, but not up to the Windows standard). However, I
won't know about any that do get developed because that doesn't much
interest me in a server OS - I'll take the road of having to understand
the internals a bit so that there is no problem fixing it or making it
work later.

That is what I like about XMail - it is hardly a standard Windows
application and certainly defies the "comprehensive and consistent GUI"
that Windows provides, but it is powerful, rock solid and fast.  I'll
take it over Exchange (when possible - it doesn't have all the
functionality) any day, and Apache (or Xitami or a bunch of others) over
IIS, even when running Windows OS, despite the relative hassle of
setting them up the same way you might on a UNIX or Linux platform.

Francis, I enjoy the discussion - if you want, please feel free to mail
me any responses directly so that we don't have to burden others who are
probably tired of this ancient discussion!  It probably doesn't really
belong on this mailing list... My email address is [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jeff