At first I thought that was a question I should just go ahead and answer
without bothering to double check my Thunderbird configuration, because
I was certain that it isn't doing SMTP authentication.  As it turns out,
it is - at some point I actually checked the box to do so, and I have no
idea when (obviously I was sleepwalking).

That means that I either have roughly 50 users who can't send mail and
don't seem to care enough to bother letting me know, or by some small
miracle they figured out to get their email clients to do SMTP
authentication, which I have a hard time believing.  But then this week
has been full of strange suprises!

Thanks for snapping me out of yet another misconception...  I can only
assume at this point that Rob was correct in pointing out that I have to
use SMTP authentication now across the board since my SMTP and POP3 are
coming in and going out of different IP:PORT combinations.

Clarity at last... :)

Jeff