--- Adrian Hicks wrote:

> This script uses the mail utility and includes an
> extra header for the sender (see below):
>
> begin ---
> mail -s "Spam? / Request for mail access" -a "From:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]"
> "$fromsender" < /var/MailRoot/filters/htmlreply.msg
> end ---

I don't know Debian nor mail, but the mail's manual
included in Fedora Core 4 doesn't document the -a
flag, neither does the utility accept it.

> And the bounces I get show that the recipient's
> server also sees [EMAIL PROTECTED] rather than the
> address I specify (see below).
>
> begin ---
> [<00>] XMail bounce:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED];Error=[501 Syntax
> error in parameters or arguments]
>

> [<01>] Error sending message
> [1136437219344.2899659696.c5.merlin.auston.com] from
> [sing.auston.com].
>
> ID:        <L117A08>
> Mail From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Rcpt To:   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Server:    <mta-v26.level3.mail.yahoo.com>
> [64.156.215.18]
>
> [<02>] The reason of the delivery failure was:
>
> 501 Syntax error in parameters or arguments
> end ---

Yahoo does not accept messages from (return-path)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

$ telnet mx1.mail.yahoo.com 25
S> 220 mta208.mail.mud.yahoo.com ESTMP YStmp service
ready
C> HELO HELO
S> 250 mta208.mail.mud.yahoo.com
C> MAIL FROM:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
S> 501 Syntax error in parameters or arguments

Do you know the XMail's sendmail
(http://www.xmailserver.org/Readme.html#sendmail)? It
can replace mail.

Hope it helps.