Simple way is to share the same base for the two servers.

Primary xmail server with glst database and it shares (nfs, ...) the glst
directory on secure backoffice network (or with ssl/stunnel/vpn, ...)
Secondary xmail server glst points to this share.

Don't ask me about reliability and possible timeouts ... I did test this
setup at this time :)

-----

For the glst cleanup procedure, and shared database.

You can create a single batch doing stop/clean/start on only primary server
if it can execute remote commands on secondary (rsh, ...) to stop and
restart secondary xmail:

1 stop local (primary) xmail
2 stop secondary xmail remotely
3 only if you are sure secondary is stopped, do glst cleanup
4 restart secondary xmail remotely
5 restart local xmail

Second option if remote sh not available :
schedule two batchs on first and second servers at same time to :

First server batch :
1- stop local xmail
2- create a 'primarystoppedforcleanup' flag file in glst database dir to
confirm to secondary that its time to stop xmail
3- wait until a 'secondarystoppedforcleanup' flag file exist in glst
database dir to confirm secondary is stopped (need a sort of timeout to skip
cleanup, go to step 5 directly, in case secondary didn't start cleanup batch
at all ...)
4- do the glst cleanup
5- delete primarystoppedforcleanup flag file in glst database dir. this mark
the end of cleanup
6- restart local xmail

Secondary server batch :
1- wait until primarystoppedforcleanup exist in glst database dir (need a
sort of timeout to simply exit batch in case primary didn't start cleanup
batch at all ...)
2- stop local xmail
3- create 'secondarystoppedforcleanup' flag file to fire real cleanup on
primary
4- wait until primatystoppedforcleanup file is deleted by primary
(need a sort of timeout to continue, step 5, in case primary didn't start
cleanup batch at all or didn't delete flag file ...)
5- delete secondarystoppedforcleanup
6- restart local xmail

More complicated as you need to use sort of synchronisation to avoid
stopping definitively one or the two xmail ... (here syncho with files used
as semaphores/flags)

Francis