Have a look at Uebimiau. I use it, and it works nicely. Can work with
any POP3 server, and does not even have have to be on the same
machine, as it uses SMTP auth for sending, like a normal mail
client...

http://www.uebimiau.org/

No need for anything other than Uebimiau, Apache with PHP and that's
it...

No need for any database, or any other fancy PHP modules.
It is POP3 and IMAP compatible.
Multi-language and various skins too...

The one thing I did not manage to get to work is the password
change patch, but I have alternatives for that...

Personally, I would like to see IMAP on Xmail, but in the particular
environment that I am using Xmail, I would actually disallow IMAP, as
it is not a storage solution for people, but a mail handler...

--
Best regards,
 Jorn                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]