From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Francesco Vertova
Sent: Thursday, 2 November 2006 8:51 PM
To: xmail@xmailserver.org
Subject: [xmail] Re: Local domain and trailing dot

At 00.25 30/10/06, you wrote:

>Ok, this comes from 2005 but I'm going through stuff to include in 1.23.
>The trailing dot is not legal, according to section 4.1.2 of:
>
>http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2821.html
>
>Path = "<" [ A-d-l ":" ] Mailbox ">"
>Mailbox = Local-part "@" Domain
>Domain = (sub-domain 1*("." sub-domain)) / address-literal sub-domain =
>Let-dig [Ldh-str]

I'm not clear what "legal" means here. If I pass "anydomain.com."
(with the trailing dot) to nslookup, it does resolve. That's why the mail
loop occurs (the MX point to the XMail server, but the XMail server does not
accept it and tries SMTP delivery to itself again and again). IMHO and/or
AFAIK:

- a mail loop should only result from broken server config, not a user's
typo;
- this issue is more (or as much) related to DNS than SMTP;
- the trailing dot is a common convention for indicating that a domain is
fully qualified (per RFC 1912, 3.2: "If you don't put a `.'
at the end of an FQDN, it's not recognized as an FQDN.")
- Xmail should either perform a syntax check for the trailing dot, and if
found issue a 5xx error WITHOUT trying to deliver/resolve, or recognize that
a domain is local IF DELIVERING/RESOLVING;

Ciao, Francesco

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe xmail" in the body
of a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] For general help: send the line
"help" in the body of a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]