> If the primary MX is accepting connections and telling it to try
> again later, don't SMTAs try the primary again before sending to a
> secondary, hence the need for the RST packet in the firewall in the
> nolisting info ? I might be totally wrong about that, but I was
> thinking the secondary was only used when the primary was unreachable
> or returning fatal errors ?

When an MTA get a fatal error (5xx) it normally shouldn't try again at
all, also not on the secondary MX. A fatal error can for example by
"recipient unknown".

I don't know if there is a difference between the retry-schedule for no
response from the primary MX, or a temporary error (4xx). I would assume
that most MTA's would handle both the same way, but haven't tested this yet.

Sincerely,
Bart Mortelmans