On 15 Mar 2007, at 18:00, Davide Libenzi wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, David Lord wrote:
>

> > I'm sure this used to work.
> >
> > Sending mail from eg [EMAIL PROTECTED] to [EMAIL PROTECTED] doesn't
> > work and gives an error in slog:
> > <<
> >   ErrCode   = -215
> >   ErrString = DNS name not exist
> >   Recipient domain "fileserver.home" does not exist
> > >>

> >   -bash [EMAIL PROTECTED] $ host fileserver
> >   fileserver.home has address 192.168.59.22
> >
> > Using telnet to send to fileserver works ok.
> >
> > If I put an entry for fileserver.home in smtpfwd.tab the mail is
> > delivered ok. This has the problem that some hosts get dynamic ips.
> >
> > Is there another setting that I've missed or is it designed to work
> > this way?
> >
> > XMail 1.25pre02 on mail and 1.22 on fileserver.
>
> The fileserver.home is not a public server, and likely does not have an MX
> record, so the only way is smtpfwd.tab.
> You could setup an MX record in your DNS *and* set SmartDNSHost to your
> DNS server.
> But the first option is the simpler.

Thanks,

There are no MX as unless someone can tell me different, this would
require a separate zone file per host and would be a problem with the
dynamic ips.

This is a change from 1.22 as sending from that to a non mx host
works ok. I don't have any mail being sent between hosts that would
break by the change and was just making some quick tests so for my
purposes using smtpfwd.tab is acceptable.

David